Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Rudolph came by


We came home around midnight. Had been served dinner by some friends. One of those strange, Norwegian courses, called "rødsei", red pollack. The fish is not drained from blood, but stored with salt in a barrel for several months. Then watered and cooked.
Very interesting.
So I guessed that would be enough of impressions for the day. Until I heard a big scream from my dear.
Well back home she had seen a figure out in the garden. Moving.

It was good, old Rudolph who had stopped by. Eating from my garden.
Santa had probably given him the day off, since he had been flying around with presents and stuff.

Actually it`s not a big deal seeing a reindeer out in the garden in our town Vadsø, in Arctic Norway.
But we felt it was kind of special at this time, around midnight, in the dark winther, around Christmas.

The animal did not care much about the fuss. Not the screaming from the house, not the flashlight from my camera.
He just kicked in the snow, and ate some more of our grass.
And I think it`s okay. It might bring us some luck...

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeruen said...

Wow. I also see some deer jumping or rather, galloping, behind my apartment once a blue moon. Being originally from the Philippines, it was my first time to see deer here in Buffalo, NY.

I hope you don't mind me commenting once in a while. I always find reading blogs from different parts of the world very interesting.

By the way, is Vadsø far north than Tromsø? The reason I ask is because I know that Tromsø is the city with the northernmost university, the northernmost cathedral, among others. I got to know of Tromsø because of its university, University of Tromsø. I am a graduate student and one of the articles that I read was written by someone from U of Tromsø.

29 December, 2005 05:52  
Blogger Halvard Mikal Sæbø said...

Hey!
Very exciting to receive a comment from a Phillipinian linguist!
Reindeer in New York?? Really?

Vadsø is situated northeast of Tromsø. About 750 kilometers east. Quite near the Russian border.
It`s a small town. Only 5000 people live here. With miles of open, unhinhabited mountain plateu just one kilometer north of the city center. But still a town with modern services.

Ofcourse I dont mind receiving comments. Thats just exciting.

Best regards.

29 December, 2005 18:45  

Post a Comment

<< Home

If you click on some of my ad`s, you`ll give a small contribution to the work of my blog.